Castro Valley would like to congratulate the following Castro Valley players for their great achievement of representing Cal North at the recent ODP Championships event in Arizona.
All of these players have been selected as being amongst the best 18 players in their age respective age groups in Northern California.
- Diego Ojeda (Castro Valley U16 Boys)
- Thomas Soto (Castro Valley U16 Boys)
- Taylor Daniel (Castro Valley U14 Girls)
- Alexis Berlin (Castro Valley U13 Girls) (Selected but could not travel)
One of the player’s would like to share his experience with you. Here is Thomas Soto’s experience:
Thomas has tried out for the last three years without making the team. This year he made the pool of 35 players and was one of 18 selected from the player pool to be on the travel team for the 97 Boys Nor Cal team as a goalkeeper.
The 2013 US Youth Soccer Region IV Championships Tournament was January 11 – 13 in Las Vegas, NV. It was extremely cold. It didn’t get higher than 40 degrees during the day. The Nor Cal team played against teams from the states So. Cal, Utah, and Colorado. They played the So. Cal team again in the finals.
Being a newcomer to ODP, he did not expect to play much. To his surprise he was the starting goalkeeper in the first game against So Cal and continued to play throughout the tournament. He was also selected to be the team captain before the first game.
• Going to the semi finals. Game tied, went into overtime, still tied, game ended with penalty kicks. Stopping a penalty kick to make it into the finals.
• Opportunity to play against highly skilled players
• Meeting new players from Nor Cal
• Getting a Finalist Medal
• First travel experience without my family
ODP has high expectations of its players. In order to earn the opportunity to travel and play you have to be a player that is consistent, skilled, hard working, and self-motivated. Overall, it was a great experience.